Curries, especially those that are made with coconut milk, are one of my great loves since I discovered them. There is a huge variety of Indian, Thai or Chinese recipes, but the chicken curry with coconut milk is one of the most popular. In this post I attempt to make a version with ingredients easy to find in the general store, in order to make it quick and simple.
I have tried to approach a Thai curry version, using curry paste, lime, sunflower oil (not olive oil) and white sugar or brown sugar.
I like it because:
- The chicken curry with coconut milk is very easy to make and fully accessible for beginners, if you want to impress people.
- It’s quick to prepare: sauté quickly all the ingredients in a wok on high temperature and then cook slowly with the coconut milk for a few minutes.
- It is a perfect dish for a dinner with friends or family, at any time of the year.
- Sauté the vegetables quickly to keep them crunchy.
- There are many types of curry paste that I can’t really distinguish myself except by the level of spice. I recommend to try several several of them, and choose the one you like best. For this recipe I used the “Rogan Josh”. It is medium spicy and contains cinnamon and cardamom. It is a curry of Kashmir in India
- You can use either sunflower or olive oil, but coconut oil is also a very good option, and white sugar or brown sugar.
Thai Chicken curry with coconut milk
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 limon (green) for the zest + the juice of half of it
- 1 tea spoon of brown sugar
- 1 tea spoon of soy sauce
- 2 spoons of curry paste
- Optional : 1 spoon of potato starch to bind the sauce
- sunflower oil
- 2 onions
- 5 garlic gloves
- Half a brocoli
- 3 carrots
- 2 chicken breasts, cut in small stripes
- Basil leaves as you like
- Mix the coconut milk, green lemon zest and juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, the curry paste and (optional) the potato starch together in a bowl.
- Chop the onion and the garlic on one side, and the broccolis and carrots on another side because they don’t have the same cooking time.
- Heat a bit of oil in a wok, and fry the onion and garlic together a couple of minutes, add the other vegetables and let them cook 4 more minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan, add a bit of oil and cook the chicken during 5 minutes, until the stripes are brown.
- Then add the rest of the vegetables and the coconut milk, cover and let it cook slowly 10 more minutes. In the meantime you can cook the rice or pasta.
- Once it’s ready add the basil in the pot or directly in the plates. There is never enough basil so do not hesitate to put a lot, especially if you have a basil plant at home.
- Serve it very hot, with the rice or pasta.