This new beetroot and carrot salad recipe has been quite successful this summer. I invented it mixing the ingredients I had in my fridge one night: carrots, raw beetroot, a few salad leaves and red peppers, feta and eggs. Sprinkled with basil and seasoned with the honey and mustard vinaigrette, the result is very surprising.
Carrots and beetroot are root vegetables, known for having low calories and a high fibre percentage. On top of that, they are famous for preventing people from developing cardiac diseases or cancers when they are eaten raw, so they can be eaten with no limit. I was not a big fan of beetroot until one time I got them with some organic vegetables that I sometimes buy through a co-operative. Then I found out that you don’t have to cook them necessarily, they are also delicious when uncooked in a salad.
Feta is my favourite cheese for salads, for its very fresh taste, and also its crumbly, light, non-greasy texture that mix well with the other ingredients.
Eggs are not essential but they give more consistency to the salad if it is a single dish.
I like it because:
- This salad has a slightly sweet taste thanks to the beetroot, and salty at the same time because of the feta.
- It is quick and easy to prepare.
- Bring the salad unmixed to the table, because once it is done all ingredients have a red colour because of the beetroot.
- Grate the carrots and beetroot with an electric grater or a mandolin slicer, so as not to dirty your hands.
INGREDIENTS FOR 4 PEOPLE:
- 2 raw beetroots
- 4 carrots
- 1/2 red pepper
- 2 or 3 green salad leaves
- 200g feta
- 2 eggs (optional)
- Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
Colourful beetroot and carrot salad with feta recipe
- Plunge the eggs in a pot filled-in with cold water and warm it up over high heat. Count 8 minutes for cooking once the water boils. Continue with the recipe in the meantime. Once the eggs are cooked, throw the hot water out of the pot. Fill it again with cold water and remove the shells of the eggs inside so that you don’t burn yourself. Set the eggs aside in a small bowl.
- Grate the beetroot and carrots slightly with a mandolin slicer or an electric grater so as not to get your hands dirty, and put them in a large salad bowl.
- Finely chop the red pepper, the feta and the eggs, and add them to the other ingredients in the bowl.
- Clean the salad leaves and also add them to the bowl.
- The salad is ready. Mix all salad ingredients at the last moment, just before serving, and offer it with the vinaigrette aside, so that everyone can season to taste.