Although winter is now over, I want to share one of my favourite winter recipes… How to make a good soup? This sautéed leek soup is quite traditional, with potatoes and carrots. I give it a special twist by sauteing the leeks for a few minutes in salted butter before adding the other vegetables. It gives the soup a slightly and warm butter flavour.
You can find other nice soup recipes on the blog, have a look!
I like it because:
- this vegetable soup is very fast and easy to make, and everyone loves it
- You can add other vegetables such as broccoli or fennel (photo) in order not to always repeat the same soup, or fried bacon to make the soup a complete meal.
- It can be served as a starter or as a light meal.
- Heat the water in a kettle before pouring into the pot so that the soup will cook faster.
- Add a tablespoon of heavy cream at the end of the cooking to make the soup creamier.
- Swap 1 or the 2 potatoes for sweet potatoes, it will give a nice and sweet taste to your soup
INGREDIENTS FOR 1 LITRE OF SOUP
- 3 or 4 medium leeks
- 2 tbsp (10g) salted butter
- 4 carrots
- 2 potatoes
- Optional: 1 fennel or half a broccoli
- 1 vegetables or spices broth cube
- Seasoning: salt, pepper, cilantro and any other seasoning that you usually add.
- 1 liter of water
- Optional: 100g bacon and/or 1 tablespoon heavy cream
Recipe of the Sautéed leek soup
- Heat the water in a kettle, while cleaning and cutting the leeks into small pieces on one side and the rest of the vegetables on the other side.
- Melt the salted butter in a large pot and sauté the leeks just for a couple of minutes, don’t let them turn soft!
- Add the remaining vegetables, the broth cube, seasoning and cover with hot water the pot’s content.
- Cover the pot and turn up the heat until the water boils. Then lower the heat slightly and let it cook until the vegetables are done, about 20 minutes.
- If you want to add bacon, fry it in a pan aside in the meantime.
- At the end of the cooking, mix the soup with a mixer and seasons a bit more if needed. Add bacon and heavy cream at this moment if you want and serve very hot.