I am thrilled to introduce my first vegan recipe, a vegan tofu and vegetable curry!!
I first tried this recipe last year, just after coming back from a summer holiday in Mexico. My darling and I happily enjoyed tacos and other delicious Mexican dishes such as the carnitas over a few weeks. A decision was made to “eat no more meat and start a healthy diet“, like we always do after a period of indulgence, so I got the idea to cook some vegetables in a nice and fancy way with a coconut milk curry sauce, and add some tofu to make the meal nourishing enough. It worked so well that this vegan tofu and vegetable curry recipe became one of our regular dinners at home!
I like it very much because even if I am not vegan myself and don’t really plan to be (I can’t imagine life without cheese!), I pay attention to where the ingredients are coming from and I sometimes like to eat something that doesn’t involve animals. I have also followed a few French vegan bloggers since last year, such as the famous Antigone XXI, and I often pick up ideas there.
The vegan tofu and vegetable curry is a healthy recipe, really easy and quick to prepare, so it makes a perfect week-night dinner, and you can use almost any vegetable you fancy, preferably vegetables in season. The steps are simple : first sautée the tofu and the vegetables. The tofu is better when it’s browned, and the vegetables must be thinly sliced and fried just enough so that they are still crunchy, Thai cooking style. Then prepare the curry sauce with onion, ginger, garlic, spices, coconut milk and crushed tomatoes. Once the sauce is ready, pour the vegetable in the curry sauce and simmer for a few minutes. That’s it!
My favourite vegetables for this curry are broccoli and carrots, but it will also work with a courgette, butternut squash, red pepper, half a cauliflower… or 300gr of chickpeas: in that case don’t fry them, just add them to the sauce at the end of the recipe with the other vegetables.
You can find a few more vegetarian recipes on the blog here.
Easy vegan tofu and coconut curry
- 12,3 oz (350 gr) tofu
- 1/2 broccoli
- 2 carrots
- 1 courgette
- Coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cm fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1tbsp curry pasta
- 1tsp paprika
- 1tsp cumin
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1 hot pepper for a spicy curry sauce
- 1 small can coconut milk
- 1 small can crushed tomatoes
- 10,5 oz (300gr) rice
- Cut the tofu in small cubes and set aside in a bowl.
- Peel the carrots, wash along with the broccoli and the courgette, and slice them very thinly.
- Pour a little bit of coconut oil in a big pan over medium heat and fry the tofu until brown. Set aside.
- Add a bit more coconut oil in the same pan and fry the vegetables for 5 minutes, removing them often, until they start to brown but remain crunchy. Set aside with the tofu.
- Chop the onion, grate the ginger, remove the skin from the garlic cloves and cut them in smaller pieces.
- Pour a little bit of coconut oil and fry the onion over low heat until soft.
- Add the ginger to the pan and crush the garlic gloves using a garlic press over. Mix with the onion during 1 minutes.
- Incorporate the curry pasta, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, and hot pepper to the pan, and mix during a couple of minute, until you can smell the spices.
- Pour the coconut milk and the crushed tomatoes in the pan, reduce the heat and let the sauce cook for 20 minutes, removing the mixture time to time. You may prepare the rice in the meantime.
- Once the sauce is ready, pour the vegetable and the tofu in the pan, and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve the vegan tofu and vegetable curry with the rice.