This Spanish beef stew with red wine and cinnamon sauce is totally mouthwatering. As often in the Spanish cuisine, the sauce for the stew is made with a mix Spanish and Arabic spices, which gives its special taste that surprises and delights at the same time.
This is a perfect recipe for dinner with friends, family meeting and even for a romantic dinner. It is very easy to prepare, but I advise you to prepare the stew the night before, and then re-heat when you are ready, with a bit of rice or potatoes. Stews are always better after one night in the fridge, and that way you can enjoy the dinner with the guests.
Find more stew recipes on my blog, such as the Blanquette, a very typical French creamy beef stew, the Spanish stew with chickpeas, chorizo and potatoe or several vegetable stews.
Spanish beef stew with red wine & cinnamon sauce
- 21 oz (600g) beef for stew, cut in small strips
- 1 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3,5 oz (1o0g) smoked bacon
- 3 tbsp sherry or dry Xeres wine
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp tomato concentrate
- 1/2 US cup (100 ml) red wine
- 2/2 US cup (150 ml) vegetable or meat broth. It must cover the meat once it’s in the pot.
- 1 bouquet-garni (or 2 bay leaves and 2 sprigs of thyme)
- 1 clove
- 1 head of cinnamon
- 1 tea spoon of saffron
- 1 peace of lemon crust
- Salt, pepper and grounded coriander seeds
- Put the beef in a big bowl, add the salt, pepper and flour, and mix.
- Put 1 spoon of oil in a big pot, and when it’s hot, brown the bacon for a couple of minutes. Remove the bacon from the pot, and put in the beef for 5 minutes, give it time to brown also. In the meantime ground the onion and garlic.
- Remove the beef from the pot and add it to the bacon, pour the wine into the pot and let it heat a few seconds, then add it in the big bowl with the bacon and beef.
- Add the rest of the oil in the pot and brown very slowly the onion and garlic for 10 minutes.
- Add in the pot the paprika, tomato concentrate and mix. Then add all together the meat, red wine, broth, bouquet-garni, spices, saffron and lemon crust.
- Mix everything, add more salt and pepper.
- Add more water if needed to cover the meat, cover the pot and simmer during 2h30.
- It’s very good served with rice or potatoes.