With the Cheesecake of Dulce de Leche, the Tiramisu is one of my favourite desserts, and very easy to do if you use the correct kitchen utensils.
Perfect dessert, classic Italian dish that spread all over the world, I give a twist to the original recipe by replacing white sugar for brown sugar: the result is a nice caramel and cinnamon aroma that really makes the difference.
I like it because:
- I always thought this dessert was complicated to make, and required lot of tricks and practice so I was very surprised when I realized that it isn’t the case at all !! So give it a go and surprise yourself, its really very easy to make.
- You can add a bit of cognac or rum to the coffee.
- The best finger biscuit are the Savoiardi:
Kitchen utensils recommended :
- Electric mixer to beat the egg whites
- Rubber spatula to mix the ingredients
- Draining spoon to soak the biscuits in the coffee
- Deep dish for the coffee
- Sieve or a little strainer to sprinkle the cocoa powder on the cake
Ingredients for a 9 in rectangular dish:
- 4 US cups (1 litre) unsweetened black coffee
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 US cup (100g) brown sugar
- 1 sachet of vanilla sugar (1 1/2 tsp or 7,5g)
- 8,8 oz (250g) mascarpone cheese
- A pinch of salt
- 24 finger biscuits
- 1 tbsp of bitter cocoa powder
Tiramisu with brown sugar recipe
- Prepare the black coffee.
- Separate the whites from the yolks in 2 big bowls. Mix the yolks, sugar and vanilla sugar with a whip for around 5 minutes, until the mixture is light and creamy. Add the mascarpone and beat well.
- Add a pinch of salt and beat the egg whites in the second bowl until stiff, and gently mix with a spatula to the above mixture.
Build the cake :
- Pull half of the coffee in a deep dish.
- Soak the biscuits on both sides in the coffee, 3 by 3, using a large flat spoon. This needs to be done quickly in order to keep the biscuits crunchy.
- Line the bottom of the tiramisu dish with 12 biscuits. Cover with a layer of the filling. Alternate twice with biscuits and filling.
- Finish with a layer of cream. Sprinkle with cocoa.
- Refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
You can print or save the recipe as pdf: