Roast chicken is a classic dish in summer because it’s tasty, healthy, and easy to cook. On top of that, it can be flavoured in many ways and cooked with a great variety of vegetables to always make it in an original way, such as this roast maple chicken thighs. And for those who, like me, don’t have a barbecue, it is a perfect substitute.
The idea of using maple syrup came from a recipe of roasted carrots. I liked a lot the caramelized flavour, and thought it would work well with chicken thighs and potatoes, cooking them in the same way as the baked chicken thighs with chorizo and orange recipe.
Maple syrup is widely used in North America as an alternative to sugar or honey. It is more natural because it less processed and has a recognized antioxidant effect.
I like it because:
- Roast maple chicken thighs is a savoury and sweet recipe, original and easy to prepare.
- The recipe also works for a whole chicken with potatoes and carrots, following the recipe of the roast chicken Mediterranean vegetables.
- You can use either maple syrup or honey only if it suits you better.
- Similarly, you can choose to put only carrots or potatoes, although I would recommend mixing them.
INGREDIENTS FOR 2 PEOPLE
- 10 oz (300g) carrots
- 10 oz (300g) potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp honey
- Seasoning: salt, black pepper, ground coriander seeds
- 2 chicken thighs
- 2 rosemary sprigs
Roast maple chicken thighs recipe
- Preheat oven to 430ºF (220°C).
- In the meantime, peel and cut the carrots in medium size sticks, chips type.
- Clean and cut the potatoes with or without the skin according to your taste, the same size as the carrots.
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, maple syrup, honey and seasoning.
- Place the chicken thighs and vegetables in a large oven-proof tray.
- Pour the mixture of olive oil over and mix well, better with hands, until all the ingredients are soaked. Place the rosemary sprigs between the vegetables, and try to order all ingredients in a single layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven, mix the ingredients and spread them with the sauce that appeared during the cooking. If there is not much sauce, pour a half cup of water on the plate.
- Bake for 30 minutes more and it is ready!