As the title suggests, this lemon pie is a recipe from my grandmother, Mamie Jeannine. She has the instructions written on a sheet of paper, stored in an old metal box where she has kept all of her recipes for at least 30 years. As I always liked this pie since I was a kid, even more than an apple pie, she used to prepare it almost every week when I was visiting. I do it exactly the same way she does, and each time it brings back some great childhood memories.
Although I know how to do it, every time I want to prepare this pie I like to give her a call, just to check how many lemons I need, what is each ingredient’s quantity, the oven temperature and the cooking time…. and let her know that my friends and I love this pie! I also thought it would be a good idea to share the recipe with more people, so I decided to publish it.
If you want to add a nice topping, you can cover the pie with a meringue.
I like it because:
- It is very easy and quick to prepare.
- You can taste the flavour of each ingredient very well: lemon, sugar, butter.
- It is worthwhile to prepare a homemade short pastry. It will give much more flavour to the pie, and it is very easy to do. You can also personalize it by adding some extra ingredients, such as cinnamon powder or vanilla extract. Just plan to do it 2 hours in advance.
- Leave the butter out of the refrigerator 15 minutes before you start cooking.
- Let the pie cool down for a couple of hours in the fridge before eating it, it has more flavour when it is cold.
INGREDIENT FOR A 9-inch PIE DISH
- 1 Short pastry
- 3,5 oz (100g) butter
- 7 oz (200g) sugar
- The juice of 3 lemons
- 5 eggs
LEMON PIE RECIPE
- Pre-heat the oven at 350º fahrenheit (180º celsius) while you are preparing the pie
- Spread the broken paste on a kitchen paper and you transfer it into a pie dish. Pierce several times with a fork.
- Mix the butter and the sugar in a big bowl. The easiest way is to do it with your hands but if you don’t like, do it with a food processor.
- Incorporate the lemon juice and mix.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl and add them to the other ingredients. Mix well and pour the mixture in the dish pie.
- Cook it in the oven for 40 minutes.
Personally I prefer this pie when it’s cold after a couple of hours in the fridge.
You can print or save the recipe as pdf: